A Year of Depth Work
A PsychoEnergetics Approach
A PSEN Study Group in Lisbon, Portugal
starting in December, 2021
Presented by Joana Carvalho
PsychoEnergetics Training Faculty Member
Assisted by Margarida Santos
PsychoEnergetics Year of Depth Work
Deepening into the Fluidity of Being
The PsychoEnergetics Years of Depth Work in Lisbon, Portugal, meets in the beautiful and peaceful Hotel Seminar Torre d´ Aguilha in Carcavelos. Our Year of Depth Work 2021-22 is based on the theme: Deepening into the Fluidity of Being
Depening Into the Fluidity of Beeing
We will explore our ability to relate more deeply as human beings – to move another, and to be moved by another
Deepening in to the Fluidity of Being – dates
Session 1:27th November( new participants only)- online from 9.30 to 12.30am
December 4th, 5th (in person),
28th January online- from 6.30 to 9.30 p.m.
Session 2: March 25th- 27th (in person),
29th April online- from 6.30 to 9.30 p.m.
Session 3: May 27th – 29th (in person),
1st July online- from 6.30 to 9.30 p.m.
Optional online group: bi weekly from December 2021 to July 2022 (schedule to be chosen accordingly to the group needs)
680€ per year (new participants)
560€ per year ( PSEN students)
“Early-Bird”: 60€discount for registrations before October 15th with the full payment
40 € discount for registrations before November 1st – does not apply to PSEN students
We ask for a deposit of 150€ to formalize your registration
Various payment options available
The fee for the online group is paid separately.
The Years of Depth Work will be given in Portuguese.
For more information or registration please contact:
Joana Carvalho: email@example.com
Estrada Mata da Torre,
São Domingos de Rana 2785-599
The Year of Depth Work is for professional practitioners and therapists from various healing modalities
We also accept applicants with a sincere interest in furthering their own personal developmen
Embodiment is the foundation for all worthwhile pursuits. It is the ground within which the conscious self is both formed and transformed”
About our 2021-22 Year of Depth Work in Portugal
– Our 2021-22 Year of Depth Work consist of the following:
- 3 in person meetings
- 3 on-line meetings
- We also offer monthly online gatherings
– Our Year of Depth Work is for practitioners and therapists of various body and mind healing modalities. It is also appropriate for anyone committed with their personal process and growth.
– During these Year we will transmit and practice various ways to increase the therapeutic awareness and ability to help deepen both the personal process as well as to facilitate a deepening of our client’s process.
– We will practice and learn how to deepen the therapeutic relationship as a way of deepening the client’s process and facilitating change.
– We provide our Year of Depth Work in a peaceful hotel seminar where we also have the option of working in the beautiful gardens depending on the weather.
– We have the options of sleeping in the hotel for those who prefer to do it, or driving home at the end of the day.
- We will have a maximum of 22 participants.
– Our Year of Depth Work is conducted by Joana Carvalho, member of the PSEN faculty training program in Spain, assisted by Margarida Santos graduated from the PSEN training program. We will also have the collaboration of Michael Mervosh co funder of the PsychoEnergetics Training Program.
– We also offer an optional bi weekly online group for personal process and supervision for the participants that chose to deepen their personal and professional growth. This group takes place from December 2021 to July 2022.
– Hotel Seminar Torre DAguilha has accommodation and meals available, payments for the Year are made separately from the accommodations.
– Participants pay for the yearlong training costs, and they pay directly to the hotel for their meals and lodging arrangements.
To respect the cohesiveness and integrity of the group and training process, we ask the participants to make a commitment for one full year at a time.
In this year, we intend to make use of the vitality and the safety of our group and grounds to explore the following:
- Practice growing our capacity for acceptance, respect and compassionate understanding, which is vital for our own healing and development, both as individuals and as practitioners
- Keep exploring how we can work with a felt sense of the life force in the mind and body: the kind of life force that ignites the heat of passionate pursuit.
- Embrace a lighthearted spirit of play as another essential facet of being able to navigate our humanity and our depth. Our ability to be playful provides us with the support needed to venture forth, and to enter new territory with reduced self-judgment and self-consciousness.
- Learn more about our relationship to our own unconscious depths. We will continue re-framing our relating to the ‘as-yet-unknown‘, as well as what is unknowable.
- In our Mindfulness Practices, we will continue to work with the resistancesthat prevent us from being fully present to our lived experiences. We will further our mindfulness each morning of the training, and learn to apply this skill to our practicum sessions with clients.
- Work with the affects of interest, disappointment and sorrow. Our capacity to tolerate and feel these emotional states helps us to drop in deeper with our clients and accompany them through the ups and down of their interior lives, allowing them to become more resilient and stronger than before.
- Place an emphasis on three of our PSEN Core Values, by addressing Basic Goodness, Accepting What Is, along with Relatedness. These values are especially useful and important, as they help us to stay present to impermanence and loss as part of the human condition.
Once we know how to be on solid ground, to be secure enough within our own embodiment – and once we are able to establish a sense of safety in the groundedness of our own bodies and minds – we can then explore opportunities awaiting us in the deeper, more fluid, and more complex depths of our own being and becoming.
We will cultivate our ability to drop below the surface of our lives and descend deeper into our interior, to access the flow of the depth processes beneath the content of our lived experiences, so to live with more texture and complexity – and as a result, to find new meaning and insigth there
We will provide enough safety to all participants to feel supported, so they can take the necessary risks that get them out of the habitual patterns in their way of relating, so to better learn and grow as practitioners.
Introduction to the PsychoEnergetics Years of Depth Work
What is PsychoEnergetics
PSEN combines a study of the ‘psyche’ and its depths, with a study of the body’s ‘energy’ and intelligence.We practice depth work and process facilitation, using the practitioners engaged body and mind to deepen the client growth and to support the awakening of conscious awareness, as well as the enlivening vitality of one’s interior life
Depth work refers to personal processes that are intended to be healing or therapeutic in nature; it is intended to shift one’s point of view and level of awareness beyond the current lens we typically use to perceive our lives. It requires a more ‘non-linear’ approach, one where we drop further into our interior spaces, to the more subtle and unconscious aspects of the psyche, using the felt sense of our bodies to open our minds to places we have yet to see clearly, or at all.
The Art of Process Facilitation
As process facilitators, we track and follow a process that is unfolding over time, before we make any attempts to intervene upon it. We do not direct or take over another’s experience, but instead, we profoundly accompany another to where they are, especially where they cannot accept themselves or their reality.
We also help to guide people to go where they have not yet gone, to where they have been unable or unwilling to go, without forcing them to do so, and without allowing them to remain the same – that is the art of process facilitation
Embodiment is a central component of PsychoEnergetics. We will actively cultivate exercises and practices that support our own Embodied Presence.
We will provide participants with various opportunities to practice both embodying and transmitting their own presence in and of itself as a function of wholeness, vitality and health.
We will actively explore the differences between speaking generally about our experiences and speaking directly from our experiences, as we become more capable of being ’embodied presences’ who can bring forth and transmit the energy of our internal experiences.
We will be focusing on strengthening and solidifying our presence by actively practicing mindfulness.
We will be practicing Mindfulness as a way to helps us not to judge our experience. Learning to accept our experience as it is, while also learning to accept the impermanent nature in all of our experience.
We consider developing a ‘Practitioner’s Mind’ essential for becoming skilled facilitators, as this fosters the ability to actively think on behalf of the client.
We will have with immediate consults available, and post-session group supervision sessions.
We work with Transference by focusing more on how to be informed by, and make use of, our own Counter-Transference as practitioners.
Learning how to enter, deepen and navigate our own internal processes is fundamental to understand the interior lives of others, making us better able to accompany them as the move through their own increasingly subtle and complex depths.
PSEN process teachings support the ongoing learning of the practitioner by deepening their awareness, appreciation and understanding of the underlying and dynamic processes taking place in our interior lives.
PSEN process teachings also provide us with useful lenses through which we can hold our attention on another’s interior space, and also to support its unfolding movement and lived experience.
We will be focusing on these specific Process Teachings:
CREATING CONTAINMENT – We learn to be deeply embodied and mindfully aware of our own interior, as well as being attuned to the body and mind of another.
CREATING SPACIOUSNESS – Deepening requires time, space and patience. We learn to make room for something to happen.
BOUNDARIES AND LIMITS – The ability to establish and maintain boundaries and to set and honor limits, are aspects of a functioning holding container. And they are fundamental in creating safety for both the client and practitioner
SLOWING DOWN THE PROCESS – We do this to be sufficiently grounded and centered in our bodies, and to be responsive to our client’s present moment experience.
TOLERATING UNCERTAINTY – We learn to trust the process of the unfolding “not-yet-known“.
CREATING AND TOLERATING DYNAMIC TENSION– we keep a ‘dynamically charged’ experience in the ‘here and now’, and staying with the experience by giving it the time, space and attention required.
BEING ATTUNED AND DIFERENTIATED – by doing so, we provide enough safety to support our clients, so they can take the necessary enlivening risks that get them out of the habitual patterns in their way of relating.
TRACKING PROCESS vs CONTENT – these is another important skill, necessary to help the client to go pass the verbalization of an event to the deeper meaning that is giving life to that event.
SUSPENDING JUDGMENTS – we practice setting aside the impulse for judgments rather than make it go away. This allows for a more vulnerable aspect of the self to emerge.
MAKING PROCESS OBSERVATIONS – making an observation about a client’s process, does not require a response from the client, rather it allows for a new orientation to arise in a way they could have do it on their own
USING QUESTIONS AS INQUIRIES – a good question does not lead to an immediate answer. It creates an owning that leads to an exploration towards something “as yet unknown”
TRACKING PECULIARITIES – we learn to notice small and subtle idiosyncrasies- those uniquely defining features that grab our attention but are unaware to the clients. We practice bringing these forward for exploration and not correction.
BECOMING A USEFUL DISTURBING FORCE – the active interest and aliveness of the practitioner is key to initiate new possibilities that disturb the sameness of the client´s cryonics habit and ways of being.
Years of Depth Work Structure
We will offer four Years of Depth Work each with a specific content and theme to be practiced which meet three times a year. Our Years of Depth Work are based on the circular notion of ongoing learning, in contrast to a linear progression. A participant can enter at any particular Year being offered, and then, if they choose to, proceed through all four years in order to complete all the themes.
Our Years of Depth Work will be conducted by Joana Carvalho, member of the PSEN faculty training program in Spain, assisted by Margarida Santos graduated from the PSEN training program. We will also have the collaboration of Michael Mervosh co founder of the PsychoEnergetics Training Program .
We also offer an optional bi-weekly online group for personal process and supervision for the participants that chose to deepen their personal and professional growth. These group is facilitated by Joana Carvalho.
Each day of each module for the Year follows a specific format
- Guided Mindfulness & Embodiment Meditation
- Lecture/Presentation/ Transmission on Theme for the Day
- Initial Experiential Practicum Session Based on Theme
- Peer Support Group Processes Based on Theme
- Embodied Awareness Movement
- One to One Practicum Sessions Based on Theme
- Demo Sessions with Supervision
- Supervision Group Sessions
- Community Integration Experience in Large Group
Her passion for deepening lead her to study body-mind oriented therapy, including healing work and transpersonal work.
She is a PsychoEnergetics Practitioner and a Psychotherapist. She has a private practice in Lisbon where she works individually and with groups.She facilitates PSEN workshops in Portugal since 2017.
Joana is a Faculty Member in the PSEN Training in Spain and a Supervisor/Trainer in AlmaSoma Transpersonal Institute in Lisbon.